Saturday, February 18, 2006

Religious Ramblings.

"Protests against cartoons of Islam's Prophet Mohammed continued on three continents Saturday. Sixteen people were killed and 11 churches were burned in Nigeria...The violence comes a day after at least 10 people were killed in Libya and another in Pakistan, where five deaths have been reported this week."

Source.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I'm too Western, too Texan, too detached and aloof about what's really important in the world because my American ways have clouded my vision. Maybe what I really need to do is be more dedicated to my religion, and any time a random person insults my God I should retaliate with violence for their violation of my sacred beliefs. Maybe since my religious beliefs tell me that violence over a CARTOON is unjustified, I should do nothing but shake my head in disbelief that some souls in this world are so terribly misguided.

I don't know much; that's one of the most important things I've learned in my life. If there is one thing I do know, though, it's that your God - whoever he/she/it/they is/are, doesn't want you to instigate violence on their behalf.

***

You know, I've thought about these recent events long and hard - it's blasphemy to them, after all - where can I draw a comparable comparison? I really can't understand the religious reasons, because if someone were insulting Christianity, I'd tell them where they could stick it, but otherwise walk away.

So perhaps I'm not dedicated enough to my religion and need to think of a more appropriate comparison. I've been sitting here pondering what's most sacred to me in my life - Monika, my family, my friends...and I have to say - if some asshole drew a cartoon insulting my girl, I'd be really pissed. In fact, I'd probably want to kick the guy's ass. But I probably wouldn't, because I think I'm of more use to my future wife not in jail.

Although I think that's a little more appropriate for my understanding of how these people must feel, nothing diminishes the irony of instigating violence in the name of religion. Then again, I guess religion has a reputation to uphold as the #1 killer of all time - we have metrics to maintain, people!

What's sad is that I can't say I'm ever surprised by any of this nonsense. I have good friends who think I'm going to hell. So what - that must mean that, say, I'm Jewish and they are Christian, right? Nope! I'm Episcopalian (sort of) and they are Catholic. Look 'em up. They say I'm going to hell, but we're on the same team! Nothing could possibly be more baffling. I mean, it's not like I'm freakin' Baptist! (I kid, I kid!) So what - we let women be priests, we let priests get married. At least as a result they aren't out ____ ____ ____!!! (Use your imagination, I think lightning will shoot through the ceiling if I codify that thought...okay, fine - it rhymes with "contesting spittle lids")

*Sigh*

Muslims of the world, my final thought is this: by protesting, by instigating violence, and by allowing this ridiculous situation to cause more media attention, more headlines, and more death, you're only giving the person that drew the cartoons what they want. They are just an attention whore, and I can't think of a better explanation than the often-proclaimed message board retaliation to morons that spout off about things they know nothing about: don't feed the troll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home