Wednesday, May 31, 2006

No Love for Apostrophe-S.

I’m watching French Open early rounds right now (thanks, Tivo), and just remembered to complain about something I’ve wondered for years.

Regardless of channel, regardless of sport, I’ve never heard a commentator use “apostrophe-s.” EVER.

“The forehand of Moya is formidable today.”
“The throws of Manning were perfectly accurate all game.”
“Watch out for the Clemens curveball.”


When I imagine commentators in training, I imagine their teachers saying something along the lines of “your whole life, you were taught to speak like a ‘normal’ (they actually make air-quotes with their fingers at this point) person. Now, you will speak like one of us!”

Seriously. What the hell?! Anyone?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home