Friday, August 25, 2006

Misc. Music Ramblings.

Every time I see the Billboard Top 40 Albums these days, I become more perplexed. Let’s be serious here – I might not like a lot of top 40, but the list usually features at least a handful of good stuff. And as far as the top acts are concerned, if I haven’t actually heard them, I’ve usually at least heard of them at some point.

So it is with great surprise these days that I find myself continually clueless about who the most popular artist in the country is. Last month, it was LeToya, who turns out to be a chick that used to be in Destiny’s Child and got the boot. She’s still on the list at #11, and I’ve still never heard any of her songs…but my sixth sense predicts “crap.” This month the #1 is Rick Ross. Who, again? The record label is Def Jam, though, which must equate to “people will buy anything if Jay-Z says so.” Fair enough.

One more thing – why, why, why is Nickelback still in the Top 10? Do I really need to elaborate this point?

After reading these names in print, and possibly imagining listening them, you no doubt require immediate cleansing, so rush to the closest record store and buy anything by Radiohead, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, A Tribe Called Quest, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, U2…do you want me to keep going?

Let’s say you’re in the mood for some “Top 40” type music – then for God’s sake, go buy Kelly Clarkson’s Breakaway CD, which I have to admit, is actually incredibly good as far as pop is concerned. Plus she’s a good Texan girl and brings rock to the masses, and how can you argue with that?

Support good music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home