Saturday, November 15, 2008

Misc.

So, why has there been a lack of blog posts on Scatterbrain lately?

Long story short: at the beginning of 2009 I'll be switching positions within my company. This is the culmination of Job Quest 2008: I had decided that after the acquisition of my MBA and the fact that every mentor I know has told me I can't stay in any one job more than "a few" years (and I've been in my current job more than 6) I have been working hard to move to something new over the last few months, and the hard work has finally paid off. On the same token, I found out that job-hunting is one of the most tiring and stressful activities on the planet, especially when you want to keep outperforming in your current job, so by the time I came home from work my brain was a pile of mush. The good news is that the persistence paid off, and out of all the jobs I applied for (there were many), I ended up getting the one I wanted the most.


Of course, there's also the election-and-financial-disaster thing that's been going on lately. I've had so many personal and e-mail conversations with friends and family that I had no inclination to talk about any of those things on the blog either.


Then, there's the last week: Monika and I went to Hawaii! We spent a week on the island of Oahu with a couple friends of ours and had a total blast. Now that we're back it's going to be painful going back to work.


So, the good news is that Job Quest 2008 is over and was a success, the election is over, I've accepted that the economy is going to be heinous for the foreseeable future and we just need to accept it, and I'm now well-rested from the vacation. So hopefully I can get back to writing more than once every few weeks.


Here's a token photo for you, a watch that I bought in Hawaii. The brand is Bathys (pronounced like "Mathis," but with a 'B') and the model is 100 Fathoms. As most of you know, I've become a massive watch fiend, and this is a popular enthusiast watch. Designed in Hawaii, Swiss made. It's a quartz watch, which I purposefully wanted because most of mine are automatics, and I wanted something I could just pick up and put on instead of having to set it. I forgot to take a picture of the caseback, which has a nice relief of all the Hawaiian islands. Enjoy: